Independent agents are able to represent multiple insurance carriers at the same time. They offer customization, choice, and advocacy for their customers. Eventually, each independent agent must decide which insurance company’s policies to offer to their customers.
It takes a lot of time to research a list of the best insurance carriers. Also, independent insurance agents have choices to sell products from different carriers to the general public in the US. So, we’ve created a list with some details for you. Here are some of the best insurance carriers that accept independent insurance agents.
- Encompass Insurance
- Erie Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- MetLife Auto& Home
- National General Insurance
- Nationwide Insurance
- Markel Insurance
- Progressive Insurance
- Selective Insurance Group
- The Hanover Insurance Group
- West Bend Mutual Insurance Company
This article will examine the history, ratings, and corporate culture behind these insurance carriers. The aim is to help independent insurance agents decide which carriers best complement their style and customers’ needs. While two policies may be almost identical to the customer, the agent knows how difficult it is to make a claim or how much red tape is involved. An overview of these carriers should give you a place to start your research as you decide which are the best insurance companies for your independent insurance agency.
National organizations like The National Association of Professional Insurance Agents (PIA) and The Independent Insurance Agents of America (IIABA) offer independent agents connection and support. They also provide everything from marketing and branding services to educational programs and advocacy for agents in legislative issues. They will also help young agents connect with mentors and sales skills training in new insurance apprenticeship programs. But agents still need to represent specific policies from various carriers. So, here are some details to consider.
Encompass Insurance has a legacy of delivering superior insurance experiences. They are one of the largest casualty insurance and personal property insurance brands. Their policies are sold exclusively using a network of over 2,600 independent insurance agents. Each of their agents delivers superior service and offer quality products. Also, Encompass gives you the option to tailor-fit solutions for your customer’s coverage and price requirements. Encompass Insurance has provided excellent service to independent agents and their clients for many years. With extensive leadership experience in the insurance industry, the leaders at Encompass then have a vision for delivering those outstanding insurance experiences they advertise. Strong financially, Encompass is an Allstate company, so they share the same career network.
Since 1925, Erie Insurance has been providing the protection your customers need and the service they expect, all at great rates. More than 90% of Erie Insurance customers renew with them year after year. Erie Insurance has over 5,000 employees and more than 13,000 independent agents who live and work across the nation. The culture is one of giving back to communities, from becoming Meals on Wheels delivery drivers to coaching local Little League teams. Helping people rebuild after having faced a catastrophe is their business. Erie Insurance knows that your customers trust you to help them when they are facing the worst situations in their lives. Erie Insurance is proud to be able to be there when your customers need help the most.
Farmers Insurance proudly serves over 10 million households, more than 19 million policies in all 50 states. They have more than 48,000 independent and exclusive agents and also employs nearly 21,000 people. They have created the Farmers Exchanges, which are 3 reciprocal insurers, the Farmers Insurance Exchange, the Fire Insurance Exchange and the Truck Insurance Exchange. Each is owned by policyholders, and with subsidiaries and affiliates make up the Farmers Insurance Group. In a capacity as attorneys-in-fact, this group provides management and administrative services to the individual Farmers Exchanges.
Farmers Insurance has spent nearly 90 years putting their customers first, focusing on personalized attention as a hallmark for the Farmers Insurance experience. Farmers independent agents tap into high levels of support and a culture of service.
The History of Farmers Insurance
The history of Farmers Insurance goes back to 1928 when the dream of 2 men to provide quality insurance products at reasonable prices began. Over the decades, Farmers adapted to meet changing insurance needs for Americans. But they continue their unwavering commitment to the founding principles of providing industry-leading products, first-rate service and excellent rates.
The culture of service is longstanding. Farmers reports on their website about a letter in 1959 from a customer who was surprised and grateful when a stolen car battery was replaced in an hour. In 2002, when Beaumont, Texas, was struck by Hurricane Rita, Farmers Insurance sent 300 agents into the area to assess the damage, even during the evacuations. Then, Farmers Insurance donated an additional $100,000 to Beaumont’s emergency operation center.
Agents who represent Farmers Insurance find making claims to be less hassle than with some other carriers. Knowledge claim reps streamline the process of making a claim. This culture of service makes building a book of business easier when you can offer Farmers Insurance policies as an alternative for your customers.
Liberty Mutual believes that progress is more likely to happen when people feel more secure. So, they are there to provide all the insurance needs of your customers. They offer auto and vehicle insurance, property coverage, casualty coverage, commercial auto coverage, and risk coverage.
Liberty Mutual is actively hiring conducting virtual candidate interviews until further notice. They focus on the health and well-being of employees, agent candidates, customers, and communities.
The culture at Liberty Mutual is one of inclusivity and acceptance. Their people are their most important asset, so they create an environment of inclusion, creativity, and innovation. As they attract top talent, engage and retain employees, they strive to remain a global employer of choice.
- Liberty Mutual was ranked #77 in the Fortune Ranking based on its 2019 revenue.
- Globally, they are the 6th largest property and casualty insurer based on the 2019 number of gross written premiums.
- Liberty Mutual has more than 45,000 employees worldwide.
- And Liberty Mutual works in 29 countries around the world.
At Liberty Mutual, they believe in nurturing your passion for success. That way, you can create an independent insurance agency unparalleled in its ability to meet the needs of your customers.
Since 1912, Liberty Mutual has maintained their commitment to their belief that progress more likely to happen when people feel more secure. They work hard daily to support agents, so you can help your customers protect their families, invest in their future, and build their business. Headquartered in Boston, Liberty Mutual has people and customers across the globe
Field Sales Representatives
The information on their website about field sales representatives offers insight into how you would work with the Affinity groups within an assigned local territory. They promote a consultative selling approach, so you would receive a paid training wage and a licensing sponsorship, as necessary. A base salary with unlimited earning potential is just the beginning with incentive programs, recognition awards, and their support system. They even offer specifically flexible working arrangements and paid vacations.
MetLife Auto and Home
At MetLife Auto and Home, employees get learning opportunities and the ability to connect as a voice in the workplace. So, MetLife is a global leading financial service company through subsidiaries and affiliates, offering insurance, employee benefits, annuities, and asset management. Their goal is to support individuals and also institutional clients to navigate this changing world. Founded back in 1868, MetLife operates in over 40 countries with leading market positions in the US, Japan, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Europe.
As one of the biggest institutional investors in the United States, MetLife has $600 billion in total assets under management based on the book on December 31, 2019. Ranked Number 44 in 2019 on the Fortune 500, MetLife was also named on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), which tracks leading sustainability-driven companies for 4 years in a row.
Sales trainees complete 12 months of sales training, which combines structured classroom work and on-the-job learning. The focus is to build an understanding of the industry, MetLife’s products, and professional sales skills. Successful completion prepares trainees to apply for account executive positions.
MetLife works to connect seasoned sales professionals as a mentor with trainees. This process involves meetings with their mentor, customers, consultants, and brokers.
The organization values:
- interpersonal skills
- written and verbal communication skills
- computer skills
- presentation skills
- leadership skills
- sound business judgment
- analytical skills
- relationship building skills
- organizational skills
Life, Accident and Health, FINRA 6 & 63, Property & Casualty licenses are required.
MetLife remains committed to the building of an inclusive, purpose-driven corporate culture to energize their people. So, their employees and agents work to build more confidence in the future for peoples around the world.
MetLife works to develop specific initiatives for employees to create a more inclusive corporate culture.
Global Women’s Initiative
Senior members at MetLife lead and champion the GWI, which seeks to increase women in leadership by:
- The identification of women to attract to MetLife positions globally
- Offering skill building and career development opportunities
- Ensuring all women thrive in their association with MetLife
MetLife realizes a competitive advantage through hiring veterans bringing discipline, leadership and passion for service that mesh with MetLife’s values. Veteran’s Initiatives focus on building national communities to transition our veterans from their military service into meaningful employment.
National General Insurance
National General Insurance Group allows you to offer property and casualty products to your customers. Sell personal auto, motorcycle, RV, commercial auto and more. The nationwide network of claims representatives with a 24-hour, 365 days a year, toll-free claims hotline allows National General Insurance to provide superior customer service.
As a thriving company, National General Insurance has committed to ensuring you achieve your goals as an independent agent. So, working there means advancing your career with a best-in-class provider that leads the insurance industry in innovation. Then you receive all the resources you require to control your future success.
National General Insurance has exciting opportunities to start a career for motivated, smart individuals looking toward building a successful career with a first-class insurance provider. They help discover your new beginnings in their dynamic learning environment to set you upon the path to achieving your potential.
Professional independent agents are offered positions with National General Insurance. They are always seeking dedicated individuals with solid experience and strong core values. With National’s locations all over the US, you will find opportunities to add to your book of business with their products.
As a National General Insurance sales rep, you will be given all of the tools, support and training necessary to thrive as an independent agent in the exciting and ever-changing insurance market. Uncapped earning potential and a supportive and inclusive company culture, you’ll find National General Insurance a great addition to the policy options you provide your customers.
Nationwide Insurance considers simplicity a priority. They assist independent agent financial professionals the same way as you help your customers. Then they deliver clear, concise, straightforward resources and tools. They prepare your client-ready materials to simplify even the most complex issues. Nationwide Insurance’s support for retirement topics complements their product solutions, like customized annuities, mutual funds, life insurance, and retirement plans.
- Customized Annuities – Offer your customers a wide variety of solutions, like optional riders or death benefit options, that customize our annuities for your client.
- Life Insurance – Build relationships with your customers with the Nationwide policy offerings. Nationwide is committed to helping you strengthen your life insurance book of business.
- Investments – The Nationwide Insurance family of investments has breadth and depth. The selection includes ETFs, mutual funds, and a wide variety of resources designed to help you and your customers succeed.
- Business Life Insurance – Business owners are facing many challenges, like business succession planning and retirement needs. So, with Nationwide, you can help your customers to select the strategy best for their situation with life insurance options to address those concerns.
- Retirement Plans – Nationwide Insurance offers expertise to help retirement plan sponsors as they help workers save more for their retirement.
- Consultative Support – A team of Nationwide Insurance consultants can assist you as you help your customers prepare for retirement.
Nationwide Insurance offers independent agents both autonomy and support to add to your book of business. Serve your customers with a wide variety of options from Nationwide.
Markel Insurance offers specific specialty insurance solution options. Having Markel Insurance’s offering in your back pocket is an excellent choice for an independent insurance agent for unusual situations. So, here are some of the specific specialty offerings you can show your customers from Markel Insurance.
- Marine – From small Personal Watercrafts (PWCs) to the most luxurious yachts, Markel provides specialized protection that your watercraft customers need. Even marine-based small businesses can benefit from this type of customized insurance protection from Markel Insurance.
- Specialty Properties – Markel Insurance offers customized solutions for vacant property, manufactured homes, rental dwellings, and the other properties you usually find are hard-to-place. When you get appointed as an independent agent for Markel Insurance, you increase your options for your customers.
- Sports and Fitness – Markel Insurance tailors customized insurance solutions for gyms, yoga and dance studios, health clubs, gymnastics clubs, martial arts studios and even for independent personal trainers working in various locations.
- Livestock and Equine – Markel Insurance tailors customized insurance policies for equine businesses like horse farms, riding instructors, clubs, farriers, and more. For independent agents outside of major urban centers, this option sets you apart from your competition.
Markel offers a range of commercial marketing material resources and services to help you sell using program highlights or brochures.
Markel Insurance partners with independent agencies with a premium potential for $50,000 or more in these specialty niches if you meet these guidelines:
- Do you have at least $1 million in E&O coverage?
- Are you an independent, licensed agency in good standing?
- Can you complete and pass Markel’s background checks?
- Do you have a premium potential of at least $50,000?
- Do you currently write policies within one or more of these target niches?
- Can you bind your first account within 3 months of your appointment?
If so, Markel Insurance may be ideal for adding to your options as an independent insurance agent.
Progressive Insurance offers a full range of policies. With customized auto insurance, all the way to superb claims services, the people at Progressive Insurance provide reliable support for independent agents. Their technology helps every step of the way, too, with online services and direct access.
Progressive specifically advertises lower rates. If you deal with price-conscious customers, adding Progressive Insurance to your binder may win you some extra deals. For example, their website suggests that the average annual savings when drivers switch to Progressive Insurance are more than $750. With more than 18 million customers, 24/7/365 support, agents, and customers alike trust Progressive Insurance to insure their valuables.
At Progressive, they have built their business based on understanding what both independent agents and their customers need. They understand what is essential to protect. Therefore, they offer a wide variety of insurance products that meet specific needs. Plus, they offer customized coverages for situations that just don’t fit into the typical packages.
- Auto Insurance – Bundle auto with property insurance for more savings
- Motorcycle Insurance – The No.1 motorcycle insurer in the country
- RV Insurance – The coverage needed for peace of mind on the road
- Life Insurance – Long-lasting financial security options
There is a reason that Progressive Insurance has been named one of the best places to work. Their progressive culture, commitment to inclusion and diversity, and solid core values may redefine everything your thoughts about corporate cultures.
A FORTUNE 100 company using a forward-thinking approach, state-of-the-art tech, and endless earning opportunities. As a result, Progressive Insurance agents are well rewarded with competitive commissions, bonuses, work-life balance, and other perks.
Selective Insurance Group
Choosing Selective Insurance Group means choosing to work with an organization of insurance professionals who work before, during, and after your customer makes an insurance claim. Selective Insurance Group has been recognized as a Great Place to Work®, based on the unique culture, superb career opportunities and exceptional team members.
The people at Selective Insurance Group make things happen. They know that having the right teams with the right people to get results is the key to success. So, selective Insurance Group has skilled, committed individuals making strategies, technologies and initiatives work.
At Selective Insurance Group, they value and respect the unique opinions, abilities, and beliefs of individuals from every background and orientation. So, they work hard to include diverse ideas and perspectives into every aspect of the organization. The cultivation of this inclusive and diverse workplace ensures all employees can have an opportunity for success and to be able to contribute to Selective Insurance Group’s continued success.
Selective Insurance Group offers a wide variety of career opportunities to allow experienced independent agent insurance professionals to launch their success to the next level. As a result, your talents and skills are further developed as you perform meaningful work and have the opportunity to make a real difference.
The Hanover Insurance Group
The Hanover Insurance Group recognizes that on-demand access to the product information or business intelligence you need is powerful for independent agents. As a result, The Hanover Insurance Group built Agent Solutions to help you find all the information you need to succeed. There are value-added products, service, and underwriting information specifically designed to help you make presentations to win deals over your competitor.
Hanover Risk Solutions provides outstanding value-added service for large businesses and also for small or medium-sized businesses that other insurers ignore. This list shows how The Hanover Insurance Group is different:
- They provide consultants with extensive knowledge on a large variety of different industries, plus details of best practices for risk management.
- There is staff available all over the country, well versed in specific local, state, and federal laws and regulatory guidelines
- The Hanover Insurance Group then offers on-going, professional account services
- They provide an impressive set of training services, evaluation tools, and vendor discounts
- The Hanover Insurance Group provides site surveys, technical research, loss analysis, and expert hazard control evaluation with presentations for your prospects with new or long-term accounts
- They create agency-hosted training programs and seminars to benefit your customers
- Finally, you have access to industry-specific training and webinars
The Hanover Insurance Group wants to share insight and expertise with you, an independent agent, and your customers. The resource library includes helpful tools, valuable resources, and tips to help your customers and enhance your on-going industry knowledge.
Travelers shares your commitment to your customers. So, they offer valuable resources, content, and tools to help increase your book and strengthen your business.
Independent insurance agents often find they get more when they work with Travelers. Considered a responsive partner, Travelers focuses on your success. Independent agents working with Travelers report they get unparalleled support through:
- A comprehensive onboarding process,
- Sales and product training,
- Networking and marketing programs,
- Customer support
- And exceptional claims handling.
This type of support makes it easier to win business. But Travelers recognizes how important it is to make processes easier for you to get results. Travelers invests in their independent agents with innovative products, services, and exceptional new technology.
For example, their redesigned quote and issue platform delivers:
- Integrated experiences across products and lines of business
- Ability to launch quotes for multiple lines simultaneously
- Integration with comparative rates and agency systems to save time
Travelers continually improve their service to increase efficiency for you as their independent agent.
- The Travelers’ compensation package rewards growth and profitability, so you earn competitive commissions and be eligible for bonuses.
- Compassionate claims reps and state-of-the-art industry claims technology ensures your customers get timely service.
A leading provider of auto, home, business, property and casualty insurance, Travelers has served customers for more than 160 years—Trust Travelers to offer the right coverage for your customers.
West Bend Mutual Insurance Company
West Bend Mutual Insurance Company advertises that they provide a Silver Lining. They suggest that the worst brings out their best. For independent agents, they offer more than just a rewarding career. With a specifically incredible work environment, West Bend Mutual Insurance Company offers continuing education courses that enhance your skills and knowledge. And then best of all, you will find warm, friendly, enthusiastic associates to work with at the West Bend Mutual Insurance Company.
Health and Wellness Benefits
The West Bend Mutual Insurance Company, health and wellness benefits programs work to promote health maintenance, prevention, and high quality of life for everyone associated with the company. The focus of the corporate culture is to support healthy lifestyles. For example, they provide chair massage and mother’s rooms on their campus.
Finally, the West Bend Mutual Insurance Company provides competitive commission structures and bonuses for independent agents.
The decision to work with specific insurance carriers will change how an independent agent builds their business. As you carefully consider which insurance companies are best for you and your (potential) customers, be sure to look at more than just their policy offerings.